Nintendo said it's aware it could lose potential 3DS sales by issuing warnings that the device's 3-D effect could be harmful for children. President Satoru Iwata reiterated the 3DS is not a dangerous product.
“We are being proactive about informing our customer, even though it may not necessarily be positive for our sales,” Iwata said in an interview with Japanese newspaper Nikkei. He also stated the warnings are meant to be seen as a “precautionary measure” for customers, and even admitted it would help alleviate any possible ligation issues.
The company said last month that children under 6 years should refrain from using the 3-D modes and stick to playing games strictly in 2-D. Nintendo's says its warnings are “similar to the warnings on 3-D televisions and other 3-D products from other manufacturers, and is based on the opinions of experts that the company has consulted.”
In the same interview, Iwata said there will be 1.5 million 3DS systems in Japan during its launch month. Nintendo plans to ship 4 million 3DS units worldwide by the end of its fiscal year this March.
The 3DS launches in Japan on Feb. 26 and in Europe and North America in March.